Saturday, March 17, 2012

Carry on.



We wake up every day and we do it again. And again. And again. And again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again.


And somewhere along the line, we became what we've become. How do we become what we are?


I'm sixteen years old and I've read a lot of books. Where I come from, you either like me, or you don't: There's no gray area with me. Except for God. God is gray area. I think I know about heartbreak, but I probably don't. It took me a long time to realize that I don't have to like everyone. Don't have to like everything. I have a weakness for boys in windbreakers, boys with great hands, great cheekbones, boys who like great literature. I like cats with human names. I like cats. I say a lot of things.


And you, you're almost 19 years old and you've done your fair share of kissing. You don't understand the things I understand. I don't understand the things you understand. Whatever, you're over it. Yeah, you're 18 years old, and you call yourself a Christian, say you're giving up a couple years for it, but I don't think you're anywhere near as Christian as the boy who wears too much black who we think had friends before us, or that boy who looks a lot like Calvin from Calvin and Hobbs -- yeah, you're giving up a couple of years for this, but those two have been living it for their entire lives, because that's who they are. Are you offended by that? I don't mean for you to be.


There's a girl who got a 33 on the ACT, perfect grades, comes from a family of people who don't even know what that means. I think they should, and if they don't yet, they will. They will. Sometimes I forget to ask questions, but she keeps sticking around.


There's Avery with that hair, and Kaitlyn with that dog, and Morgan with her dad. There's something about beating hearts and things coming in threes and dinner for two.


And we're these things. We've read a lot of books and we like cats and we've done our fair share of kissing and we call ourselves Christian and we come from a family that doesn't even know what that means. We keep sticking around and there's something about beating hearts and things coming in threes and dinner for two. We're these things, and I'm not sure how we became these things, but I think it might be because of all the times we've failed.


I've read a lot of books because I wasn't good at that for a long time. People like me, people hate me because I failed in their eyes. And 33 and perfect grades didn't do everything perfect. And Kaitlyn had to fail a lot of times to get that dog. Avery had to fail to cut that hair for a lot of years. She now successfully has the longest hair of anyone I know.


Yeah, we failed a lot, but we became what we've become.


There's something about beating hearts and things coming in threes and dinner for two.


Fashionably late, as always.
All my love,
Addy

No comments: